about   beers   liqueurs

Saturday, December 26, 2009

about

As the title of this blog suggests, I follow a gluten-free lifestyle. And I like to drink.

My freshman year of high school, I was diagnosed with Celiac disease - an intolerance to the protein gluten (found in wheat flour, barley, rye, and oats). After graduating from high school and entering college, I quickly became immersed in the alcoholic beverage culture that is college. However, being Celiac for four years at that point, I knew that the typical boozes of choice (Keystone, Bud Light, etc.) were loaded with the bastard protein, gluten. I tried drinking it, against my better judgment. What happened? Well, instead of waking up with a hangover, I woke up with a stomach ache and all the good stuff that goes along with a digestive allergy. Ew, indeed.

At that point, I knew that if I wanted to partake in the joyous traditions of college, I needed to stick to hard liquor (and even some of those aren't safe) and research beers and other drinks that were gluten free.

I started this blog mostly in good humor, and in hopes that it might help out one or two other Celiacs trying to find alternative beers and other gluten-free alcohols that taste good but won't give them "the runs".

I will not be strictly sticking to beer, but will also be reviewing hard liquor, liqueurs, and perhaps the occasional wine. Also, for scientific purposes, please keep in mind that my definitions of "good taste" and "very strong" probably differ from yours. For reference, I like beers with a bold, bitter taste. I don't typically do shots, but will if the spirit is flavored or not clear. I like mixed drinks that are sweet, but where the liquor can still be detected. My alcohol tolerance is moderate, in that it takes approximately two beers or shots in the space of half an hour for me to "feel" a drink.

Bottoms up.

No comments:

Post a Comment